Monday, February 06, 2006

Hold on a moment while I log onto my...hard drive?

Yeah that's right--online file storage is becoming a reality. And I think it's pretty cool.

Some are hosted servers for a fee, some are free. According to a recent TechCrunch posting, the recommended services are OmniDrive followed by Box.Net and Streamload.

Other mentions include Allmydata.com, esnips, Freepository, GoDaddy, Iomega File Storage, Mozy, MoFile, Openomy, StrongSpace, Xdrive, and Zingee.

It's a great idea, being able to find your files anywhere? How many days into Google gets into this fray? I'm taking bets.

So, where's all this going? Interesting insight (again) from the guys at TechCrunch:
I firmly believe that online storage should, and will, be packaged with new computers and applications like Windows. The amount of unprotected but hugely important media content out there on hard drives (music, movies, home movies, pictures), is growing every day. People need somewhere to back this data up for a reasonable fee, and it seems to me that Dell and others should package this service with the PC. All initial software would be auto stored, and users would have the option to continuously syncronize their hard drive with the virtual drive.
Interesting idea, wonder when a computer company will offer online file storage. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...interesting. Guess we'll have to wait for the next version of Windows.

Now I need to find one of these services that will let me find my files and car keys.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, found your entry on technorati.

Zingee isn't exactly online storage. It's sort of 'on your computer storage' in that you just leave it there and share it out.

Let me know if you'd like to be a part of the beta testing program.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home